Act of Renunciation background image state house dusk background image library ceiling background image rotunda across background image state house ornimental ceiling background image


Foreign Entities

Foreign: A corporate entity which is organized under the laws of a different state or country. A "foreign" entity must file a notice of doing business in any state in which it does substantial regular business.

A certificate of good standing/letter of status from the entity’s state or country of formation, dated within 60 days of the date of filing, must accompany most applications. To find out where to order the required certificate, click here to use our interactive map.

Additional state and local licensing may be required to conduct business in RI. The Business Assistant located in the Start a Business in RI section will help you identify any additional licensing requirements.

Uniform Commercial Code

A Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filing is a public notice of a secured transaction.  A financing statement indicates a commercial agreement between a debtor and a secured party.   Searches provide information on collateral.  When a debtor pledges collateral on a loan, UCC search results tell lenders if others have filed a claim against the same collateral.