Benjamin Franklin once said: "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail!"
Planning a successful business takes research. Visit our RI Business Data Hub to explore the business landscape in Rhode Island, right down to your city or town!
Partners and Counseling
Some of our partners offer free, expert guidance to aid the planning of your business. Read through the descriptions and find the counseling that will best fit your own individual needs.
Phone: 401-226-0077 Website: www.riscore.org
SCORE’s business experts offer real-world advice and know-how. The counselors represent every business area. A SCORE business professional can answer your questions in a face-to-face, confidential consultation.
- Start-up Assistance
- Business Planning
- Managing a Business
- Managing Employees
- Customer Relations
- Cash-flow Management
- Tax Planning
- Marketing, Sales and Communications
- Government Contracting
- International Trade
- Buying & Selling a Business
- Information Technology and Computing
- Legal Issues (e.g., incorporation)
Phone: 401-874-7232 Website: www.risbdc.org
The Rhode Island Small Business Development Center (RISBDC) at the University of Rhode Island provides local small business owners with the services and expertise they need to succeed including no-cost expert counseling, relevant training and access to important resources.
- Business Planning
- Financial Statement Development
- Loan Application Preparation
- Establishing Your Business
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing and Brand Building
- Licenses, Permits and Business Regulations
- International Trade Assistance
Phone: 401-277-0800 Website: www.cweonline.org
CWE offers education, training, technical assistance, women's business enterprise certification and access to both debt and equity capital to entrepreneurs at every stage of business development.
- Education & Training
- Online Learning
- Financial Education & Support
- Networking Opportunities
- Consulting & Mentoring
Phone: 401-278-9100 Website: commerceri.com
Rhode Island Commerce Corporation is a quasi-public organization that offers a broad portfolio of client services and financing programs to help companies — both big and small — grow.
- Locate Resources and Financing
- Creating a Productive Timeline
- Resource Network
Phone: 401-528-4561 Website: www.sba.gov
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation.
- Financial assistance for new or existing businesses through guaranteed loans made by area bank and non-bank lenders.
- Free counseling, advice and information on starting, better operating or expanding a small business through (SCORE) Counselors to America’s Small Business.
- Assistance to businesses owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals through the Minority Enterprise Development Program.
- Women's Business Ownership Representatives are available to advise women business owners.
- Special loan programs are available for businesses involved in international trade.
- If you're a veteran, you can get business counseling and information about SBA guaranteed loans.
Phone: 401-222-6398 Website: odeo.ri.gov
MBECO promotes the development of certified Minority Business Enterprises (MBE), Women Business Enterprises (WBE), and Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE), Veteran Business Enterprise (VBE).
- Business Assistance
Goals of the office:
- Increasing the number of MBE, WBE, VBE and DBE firms available for contract competition.
- Fostering relationships between MBE, WBE, VBE and DBE firms with state agencies, quasi-state agencies, purchasing agents and prime vendors.
- Providing opportunities for growth and development of MBE, WBE, VBE and DBE firms.
- Ensuring compliance with the participation of MBE, WBE, VBE and DBE firms on all state procurement activities.
Phone: 401-232-6407 Website: chafeecenter.bryant.edu
The Chafee Center houses the World Trade Center and Export Assistance Center for the state of Rhode Island. The center provides comprehensive services on all aspects of international trade including trade data, training, consulting, trade show and trade mission support.
- International Market Research
- Market Entry Strategies
- Developing global pricing models
- SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats)
- International Business Plan Writing
- Assessment of Global Supply Chain Strategy
Chambers of Commerce are associations designed to promote and protect the interests of the business community. Chambers monitor important issues, legislation and business trends within your specific community. They also offer networking opportunities. Did you know consumers are more likely to do business with a company if it’s a member of their local chamber of commerce?
Central Rhode Island
RI Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Northern Rhode Island
Southern Rhode Island