- The State House is located at 82 Smith Street.
- Access to the building is from the Smith Street side, which faces away from downtown Providence and the Providence Place Mall.
- Visitors unable to use stairs may enter through the staff entrance accessed from the small parking lot on the east side of the building.
- The State House is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm. During the legislative session the State House stays open after 4:30 pm to allow the public to view the House and Senate sessions and to attend committee hearings. For more information on the legislative schedule, visit the General Assembly website.
- Metered parking is available on Smith, Francis and Gaspee streets.
- When the General Assembly is not in session, parking is available in the lower legislative lot off of Smith Street on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Buses may not park on Smith Street except to safely unload or load occupants. They may park on nearby streets including Francis and Gaspee streets.
- Handicapped parking is available in the small parking lot on the east side of the building. Visitors unable to use stairs may enter through the staff entrance accessed from this parking lot.
- Elevators serve all floors of the State House.
- Wheelchairs are available free of charge for usage in the building. Capitol Police officers at the staff entrance will assist visitors in obtaining a wheelchair.
- Sign-language translation services are available for individuals who are hearing impaired. Please contact the Tour Coordinator at least five (5) business days prior to your requested tour date at 401-222-3983 or by email.
- Photography and videography for personal use are permitted throughout the building.
- Flash photography is prohibited in the Charter Museum.
- Photographs and videos may not be reproduced, distributed, or sold without permission from the Rhode Island Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance.
- For information about scheduling a professional photography or videography session in the State House, please contact the Rhode Island Division of Capital Asset Management & Maintenance at 401-222-6200.
- Smoking of any kind is not permitted anywhere in the Rhode Island State House.
- Open food and drink may not be carried through the building.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited during guided tours.
Lost and Found
- Lost and found items are kept by Capitol Police at the building entrance. Capitol Police can also be reached at 401-222-1000.
Cell Phone Usage
- Visitors taking guided tours of the building should silence their cell phones.
- In the event of injury or illness, Capitol Police, stationed at the building entrances, will provide first aid or call an ambulance if necessary.
The RI Department of State reserves the right to make any necessary adjustments and/or exceptions to the office's visitor policies.