Rhode Island State Vital Records
The State Archives maintains open vital records transferred from the Department of Health for birth and marriage records more than 100 years old and death records more than 50 years old that occurred in the state of Rhode Island.
Where can I find that record?
Records Available Online
- All open vital records and indices from 1853-1939 are available online to print or download.
- Our team is currently working to digitize vital records that occurred after 1939, which will be made available online once completed.
- To help you get started, view the Vital Records Guide to learn how to navigate and find records. View Birth, Marriage, and
Death Records Online
Pre-1853 Municipal Records
- Microfilm copies of records prior to 1853 are available at the State Archives.
- Requests for certified copies should be directed to the city or town clerk of record.
- Request pre-1853 non-certified records using the Vital Records Request Form.
Certified Record Requests
- The State Archives can certify all open state vital records for births and marriages from 1853-1922 and deaths from 1853-1972.
- For records not yet digitized online or for records needed for legal reasons, request certified records using the Vital Records Request form.
Closed Records Not Available at the State Archives
Closed state vital records include the following years:
- Birth records less than 100 years old;
- Marriage records less than 100 years old; and
- Death records less than 50 years old.
Requests for closed vital records should be directed to the following repository:
Rhode Island Department of Health
Center of Vital Records
6 Harrington Road, Cranston, RI 02920
What are Rhode Island State Vital Records?
State filings of births, marriages, and deaths are vital events that occurred in the state of Rhode Island. Each vital event has a corresponding vital record.
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Email: [email protected]