Whether you want to register a Rhode Island trademark/service mark with this office or a federal trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), we encourage you to watch the following brief USPTO videos, Basic Facts About Trademarks:
- Basic Facts: Trademarks, Patents and Copyrights
- Basic Facts: Selecting a Mark
- Basic Facts: Should I register?
- Basic Facts: How do I get help with my application?
These videos will help provide you with a general understanding of trademarks and will likely answer many questions you may have. You may also want to review the USPTO’s Basic Facts About Trademarks Booklet.
Before you Apply
Determine if you need a trademark or another form of intellectual property protection.
Applying for a trademark requires a full understanding of the application process.
Maintain your Mark
Once your mark registration has been granted, you will need to take steps to keep your trademark alive.
Use our database to search and view registered RI trademarks and service marks. You can search by registrant’s name, mark description, or registration number.
Forms and Guide
Easily download a printable guide to RI trademarks and service marks and the forms needed to register, update, or cancel a mark.
- Application for the Registration of a Service Mark
- Application for the Registration of a Trademark
- Renewal of Application for Registration of a Service Mark or Trademark
- Change of Address for a Trademark or Service Mark Registration
- Assignment of a Trademark or Service Mark
- Statement of Voluntary Cancellation of Service Mark or Trademark Registration
- State of Rhode Island Trademark/Service Mark Guide
The content on this website is offered as a public service and should not be used as a substitute for legal, financial or tax advice from an attorney or a certified public accountant.