19th Amendment Centennial
In honor of the centennial of the 19th amendment we created programs and resources designed to engage students in important conversations about suffrage, women, and advocacy.
The contests are over, but we hope you will continue to use the resources below for the remainder of this landmark anniversary year.
Poster contest for 4th and 5th graders
Women and Suffrage in Rhode Island
- XIX: SHALL NOT BE DENIED Rhode Island’s 19th Amendment initiative includes a website with a calendar, resources, and more!
- Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame The Hall of Fame includes women from around Rhode Island. More women will be added in 2020.
- Extraordinary Women of the East Bay An online exhibit and database of extraordinary women from the East Bay, and a few from elsewhere in Rhode Island.
- National Collaborative for Women’s History Sites - National Votes for Women Trail This site has an interactive map that highlights locations relevant to suffrage in Rhode Island (and around the country), with a short blurb on each.
Women and Suffrage in the United States
- National Park Service: Women’s History The site has information, resources for teachers, storymaps and more.
- National Archives – Women’s Suffrage A guide to some of the primary sources available at the National Archives.
- National Archives Rightfully Hers Exhibition
- Library of Congress – 19th Amendment
- Library of Congress - Elections
- Online Biographical Dictionary of Woman Suffrage in the United States This site will include crowdsourced biographical sketches of more than 3,000 women suffrage activists, primarily concentrated in the period 1890-1920.
- UNLADYLIKE2020 UNLADYLIKE2020 is an innovative multimedia series featuring diverse and little-known American heroines from the turn of the 20th century, and the women who now follow in their footsteps.
- The Accessible Archives: Women’s Suffrage Collection This collection covers 1840-1920 and includes newspapers that had some overlap between the temperance and women’s rights movements, as well as an anti-suffrage paper.