Image of Governor John O. Pastore aboard an Eastern Airlines airplane to mark the airline’s resuming commercial service from Warwick’s Theodore F. Green Airport in 1946. Eastern was followed one week later by Northeast Airlines.
The Army Air Force assumed control of the airport on April 1, 1942, when the airport became the Hillsgrove Army Air Base. It was a fighter base for the First Army Air Force and a transition-training base for officers after graduation from flying school. On September 26, 1945, control of the facility was returned to the state of Rhode Island and became Theodore Francis Green State Airport once again. Source: Rhode Island Airport Corporation Airport HistorySee also:
Governor - Orders issued under authority of State Emergency Defense Act of 1942Initial Report of the Fair Employment Practices Commission, 1950Merci America Boxcar photograph album, 1949-1949Report of the Commission to Re-Examine The Field of Governmental Operations, 1947Records of the Office of the GovernorProvidence College Special Collections - John O. Pastore papers