Image of the Kings County Court House/Kingston Library 1775, 1876 located at 1329 Kingstown Road in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
A large, 24-story structure, with a projecting central tower with a polygonal belfry and roof and a large, pedimented entry. The Kings County Court House, origin ally at Tower Hill, was moved here in 1752; it stood directly across the road. In 1775, a new court house was erected here; it was one of the five original state houses where the rotating General Assembly met from 1776-1791. The state assembly met here bienially from 1842 to 1854. The building was radically altered in 1816 by the addition of a mansard roof and the central pavilion and tower, to which the belfry from the earlier court house was moved. In 1895, when a new Washington County House was built in West Kingston, the first floor was remodeled for library purposes and the court room on the second floor converted to an auditorium. Part of the second floor was further restored in 1951 by John H. Cady. This fine building, the Kingston Free Library, and the adjacent, former records office occupy a small lot behind an 1855 iron fence set on granite blocks at the corner of Upper College Road. Source: Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission- Historic and Architectural Resources of South Kingstown, Rhode Island: A Preliminary Report See also:
Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission: Historical and Architectural Resources Preliminary Reports, 1978-1991