Image of the Eleazer Arnold House, built c. 1687, located in Lincoln, RI.
In 1693, Eleazer Arnold, a major landowner, built his house along Great Road, one of the earliest roads in the colonies. Two stories high, with a pilastered chimney, the home so dominated the modest dwellings of nearby farmers that it earned the title “Eleazer’s Splendid Mansion.” With its massive chimney end wall, the house is a rare survivor of a once-common Rhode Island building type known as a stone-ender. The structure has sustained many alterations over the centuries. Visitors find evidence of seventeenth-century construction methods, eighteenth-century additions, nineteenth century graffiti, and the twentieth-century approach to preservation that restored the house to its present appearance.
From: Town of Lincoln Historic InformationSee also:
Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission: Statewide Preservation Reports, 1975 - 1982