RI.gov
Subscribe to our e-news | En Español | Search this site: Print 

RI Celebrates: Parades, Dedications and Commemorations

Description

This exhibit provides an historic view of celebratory festivities that have taken place in Rhode Island throughout the years. The items on display include photographs, artifacts, original manuscripts, and archival video footage associated with such events as: the Rhode Island Tercentennial of 1936, the U.S. Bicentennial and arrival of the Tall Ships at Newport in 1976 and the transfer of Revolutionary and Civil War battle flags to the State House in 1903, as well as the opening of state highways and bridges, including those over the Providence and Pawtucket Rivers in 1958 and the Mount Hope and Washington Bridge dedications of 1929 and 1930.

See the full exhibit for yourself at the Rhode Island State Archives, 337 Westminster Street, Providence, through November 30, 2012. We are open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free, two-hour validated parking is available at the In-Town Parking lot, across Snow Street from the State Archives.


Image of three veterans taken on Memorial Day, 1937. Image from left to right is Charles H. Leonard, Assistant Adjutant General; Charles H. Bullock, Past Department Commander; and Charles H. Lewis, Department Commander. Providence City Hall is in…


Ceremonies and parade of ranks related to the transfer of State Battle Flags from the old State House on Benefit Street to the new State Capitol on Smith Hill, Saturday October 17, 1903. It was at the Butler Exchange (built 1873, demolished 1925)…


Image of President Harry S. Truman addressing crowd at Providence City Hall on October 28, 1948.


Image of the Civil War Monument dedication in Providence, 1871.See also:Military Records - Civil WarCivil War Recruitment Book (1861)Board of Military Enrollment Adjutant General - Orders Received, Executive Department (1857 - 1858;1861; 1863) …


Image of Eastern Airlines resuming commercial service from Theodore Francis Green State Airport in Warwick in 1946. The Army Air Force assumed control of the airport on April 1, 1942, when the airport became the Hillsgrove Army Air Base. It was a…