Resources for Repositories
- dPlan-RI is a free online tool that will help you simplify the process of writing a disaster plan. dPlan-RI has been adapted from dPlan, an online disaster-planning template, for use by Rhode Island collections-based cultural heritage organizations. Adaptations, changes, additions, and training were implemented by Protecting the Past - RI, a project of the Office of Library and Information Services (OLIS) with support from the Rhode Island State Archives. The project was funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Connecting to Collections initiative.
- Protecting the Past - RI is a planning project that will: result in a RI-focused disaster planning template that can be used by all the State’s cultural heritage institutions; involve a steering committee of selected stakeholders in the adaptation of the template; train stakeholders statewide in the use of the template; and give all RI libraries, museums, historical societies, town halls, preservation societies and other collectors the tools to recognize the value of and benefit from standard planning frameworks
- Disaster and Preservation Planning for Libraries by the Rhode Island Office of Library and Information Services provides links for General Resources; Flood/Water Damage; and Emergency Response and Recovery resources.
- Pocket Response Plan (PReP)™ is a concise document for recording essential information needed by staff in case of a disaster or other emergency. Every person having a response-related assignment should carry a PReP with them at all times.
- The Basics of Archives e-workshop is designed to give organizations and individuals who are responsible for the care of historical records an introduction to the core aspects of managing and protecting historical records collections, using appropriate principles and best practices. The workshop was developed by a team of archives specialists from the Council of State Historical Records Coordinators (COSHRC), the Michigan Historical Center, the New York State Archives, and the Ohio Historical Society. The project was funded with a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). For your free copy please contact Rhode Island State Archivist Gwenn Stearn.
- Introduction to Records and Information Management for State and Local Governments - This 90 minute narrated PowerPoint presentation was developed by the Council of State Archivists as part of its Intergovernmental Preparedness for Essential Records (IPER) Project. It explains the concepts and processes of records and information management.
- Watch the presentation (Please be patient. It takes a few seconds to download - SWF File - 35.38 MB) This SWF file is posted for the convenience of the Archives and Records Management Community. The Rhode Island Historical Records Advisory Board cannot provide technical assistance. Please contact the Council of State Archivists for technical or content help.
The IPER Project was supported by Cooperative Agreement Number 2007-GT-T7-K022, administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, National Preparedness Directorate. Points of view or opinions in this program are those of the author(s) and do not represent the position or policies of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- SAA's Standards Portal is designed to educate the archives community about the value and role of standards, enhance the application of standards to practice, and facilitate successful partnerships with related information standards organizations with mutual concerns and interests. The portal includes SAA-approved standards, guidelines, and best practice documents. The Society's long-term goal is to establish a comprehensive clearinghouse that includes contextual information to assist archivists and allied professionals in moving these, and other external standards, from theory into practice.
- Conserve O Grams are short, focused leaflets about caring for museum objects, published in loose-leaf format. New topics are added as needed and out-of-date issues are revised or deleted. Semiannual supplements will be issued for an indeterminate period.
- The Preservation Directorate at the Library of Congress is responsible for ensuring long-term access to the intellectual content of the collections. There are various resources available that address topics of interest to repositories with regards to preservation.
- Manual for Small Archives by the Archives Association of British Columbia. This Manual is not a textbook for professionally educated or trained archivists. It is designed to help persons in small archives, with limited access to training, with few employees, with restricted finances and time. It attempts to explain archival principles and practices, offer guidelines and suggestions for various archival activities, and provide information on available resources, such as archival publications, regional and national associations, and other supplies and services for archives.
- Keeping it simple: Introductory archival guidance for voluntary small sector organisations, v1 by the Campaign for Voluntary Sector Archives (CVSA). This guide is intended for those who are creating, have inherited or who for any reason have responsibility for digital (or electronic) and paper records that they judge to have lasting value. It does not offer detailed technical guidance on the design of electronic records-keeping systems, with retention schedules. It is written to give simple, practical advice on how to care for your records for those with no expertise in archives and records management matters and with limited money ortime to spend. More detailed guidance can be found in Keeping Value: Archival guidance for voluntary sector organisations.
- Access to Historical Records -
- Digital Dissemination of Archival Collections - The National Historical Publications and Records Commission desires to make historical records of national significance to the United States broadly available by disseminating digital surrogates on the Internet.
- Literacy and Engagement with Historical Records - The National Historical Publications and Records Commission seeks projects that explore ways to improve digital literacy and encourage citizen engagement with historical records.
- Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) - Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program; Museum Assessment Program; Museums for America; National Leadership Grants
- Society of American Archivist Foundation National Disaster Recovery Fund Disaster Recovery Grants
- The Annenberg Foundation
- Oliver S. and Jennie R. Donaldson Charitable Trust - no website
c/o Bank of America
114 W. 47th St
New York, NY 10036-1530
Carolyn L. Larke, V.P., U.S. Trust
Fax: (212) 852-3377
- Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) - Coming Up Taller; Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program; Museum Assessment Program; Museums for America; National Leadership Grants
- Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) - Conservation Assessment Program; Conservation Program Support; Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program; National Leadership Grants; Save America’s Treasures
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) - Grants for Stabilizing Humanities Collections; Preservation and Access: Humanities Collections and Resources; Preservation and Access: Research and Development Projects Grants; Preservation Assistance Grants for Smaller Institutions
Rhode Island Grants
- Arts and Culture:
- Textron Corporate Giving - “with emphasis on outreach programs that enhance learning and target low and moderate income individuals”
- Capital/Preservation Building Projects:
- Capital Equipment:
- Archival Preservation/Processing Projects:
- Rhode Island Council for the Humanities - Mini grants ($1,000-2,000); Major grants ($5,000-8,000)
- Rhode Island Foundation:
- Aquidneck Island (Newport County) Historical, Cultural, Preservation Projects:
Foundation Web Sites
- Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online (RIAMCO) is the gateway to information about archival collections in Rhode Island. Join RIAMCO as a participating institution
- National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
- National Endowment for the the Humanities (NEH)
- National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA)
- Council of State Archivists
- Society of American Archivists (SAA)
- New England Archivists (NEA)
- American Association For State and Local History (AASLH)
- Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
- Conservation On-Line
- ARMA International
- Heritage Preservation