The mission of the Rhode Island Historical Records Advisory Board is to serve the people of the state by advocating, developing and supporting programs that defend and provide access to its documentary heritage.
- dPlan-RI is a free online tool that will help you simplify the process of writing a disaster plan. dPlan-RI has been adapted from dPlan, an online disaster-planning template, for use by Rhode Island collections-based cultural heritage organizations. Adaptations, changes, additions, and training were implemented by Protecting the Past - RI, a project of the Office of Library and Information Services (OLIS) with support from the Rhode Island State Archives. The project was funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Connecting to Collections initiative.
- Protecting the Past - RI is a planning project that will: result in a RI-focused disaster planning template that can be used by all the State’s cultural heritage institutions; involve a steering committee of selected stakeholders in the adaptation of the template; train stakeholders statewide in the use of the template; and give all RI libraries, museums, historical societies, town halls, preservation societies and other collectors the tools to recognize the value of and benefit from standard planning frameworks.
- The Basics of Archives e-workshop is designed to give organizations and individuals who are responsible for the care of historical records an introduction to the core aspects of managing and protecting historical records collections, using appropriate principles and best practices. The workshop was developed by a team of archives specialists from the Council of State Historical Records Coordinators (COSHRC), the Michigan Historical Center, the New York State Archives, and the Ohio Historical Society. The project was funded with a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). For your free copy please contact Gwenn Stearn.
- Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online (RIAMCO) is the gateway to information about archival collections in Rhode Island. Search the finding aids to discover what historical materials are available for research and where those collections are located.
Introduction to Records and Information Management for State and Local Governments - This 90 minute narrated PowerPoint presentation was developed by the Council of State Archivists as part of its Intergovernmental Preparedness for Essential Records (IPER) Project. It explains the concepts and processes of records and information management.
- Watch the presentation (Please be patient. It takes a few seconds to download - SWF File - 35.38 MB) This SWF file is posted for the convenience of the Archives and Records Management Community. The Rhode Island Historical Records Advisory Board cannot provide technical assistance. Please contact the Council of State Archivists for technical or content help.
The IPER Project was supported by Cooperative Agreement Number 2007-GT-T7-K022, administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, National Preparedness Directorate. Points of view or opinions in this program are those of the author(s) and do not represent the position or policies of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Rhode Island Historical Records Advisory Board
c/o Rhode Island State Archives
337 Westminster St.
Providence, RI 02903
phone: (401) 222-2353
fax: (401) 222-3199