Rhode Island Legislative Leader
Gordon D. Fox
Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Date of Birth: 12/21/1961
- High School: Classical High School, 1979
- College: Providence College; Rhode Island College, B.A., 1985
- Graduate School: Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 1991
- Business and Personal Affiliations: R.I. Bar Association; Pawtucket Bar Association; Mt. Hope Learning Center Advisory Board; Providence Performing Arts Center; Providence Plan
Major ResponsibilitiesTakes the rostrum each day and calls the House of Representatives to order. Decides on all questions of order subject to appeal in the House. Propounds all questions in the order in which they are moved, rises to put all votes, and declares all votes.
Public Service Information
- Public Offices and Appointments: Elected Representative November 3, 1992; Elected House Majority Leader January, 2003; Elected Speaker February, 2010; Re-elected Speaker, January 2011 and January 2013
DescriptionThe Speaker oversees the proceedings in the House and ensures that the chamber is run according to the rules adopted by the members.
Additional InformationThe Speaker, as an elected representative, may vote on all questions. While generally a member of the majority party, any member may be elected to this position. The Speaker serves as an Ex-Officio member of all standing committees.
more staff . . .
|Chief of Staff|
Frank Anzeveno Jr.
|Director of Joint Committee on Legislative Services|
|Chief Legal Counsel|
Susan D. Pegden